Your Rights When Disputing a Credit Card Charge

Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, you have the right to dispute charges on your credit card you didn't make, are incorrect, or for goods or services you didn't receive.

  • Send a letter to the creditor within 60 days of the postmark of the bill with the with disputed charge.
  • Include your name and account number, the date and amount of the disputed charge, and a complete explanation of why you are disputing the charge.
  • To ensure it's received, send your letter by certified mail, with a return receipt requested.
  • The creditor or card issuer must acknowledge your letter in writing within 30 days of receiving it and conduct an investigation within 90 days. You do not have to pay the amount in dispute during the investigation.
  • If there was an error, the creditor must credit your account and remove any fees.
  • If the bill is correct, you must be told in writing what you owe and why. You must pay it along with any related finance charges.

If you don't agree with the creditor's decision, file an appeal with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).


To complain about a problem with your credit card company, call the number on the back of your card and or try to resolve it with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. If you fail to resolve the issue, ask for the name, address and phone number of its regulatory agency. See the chart of regulators to the best federal or state regulatory agency to contact.

To complain about a credit bureau, contact the CFPB; for complaints about a department store that offers credit, or other Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)-insured financial institution, write to the agency's Consumer Response Center. You may also file a complaint with the FTC.