Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Wildlife and Other Animals

Find out where to get answers to common questions about wildlife and other animals in your community.

Wildlife Conservation Efforts and Endangered Species

In the 1970s, many of the nation’s native plants and animals were in danger of becoming extinct. The United States government passed two conservation laws, the Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act, to aid in the recovery of at-risk species.

Learn the Status of Threatened and Endangered Species

“Endangered” species face extinction throughout all or a significant portion of their range. “Threatened” species are likely to become endangered within the foreseeable future. See which species are threatened or endangered and learn their status:

  • Mammals and freshwater species are added or removed from the list as their status changes. The Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) is responsible for monitoring the progress made to protect species.

  • Marine species are monitored by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

  • Search the plant species database, managed by the Department of Agriculture (USDA), to learn about federal and state-identified threatened and endangered plants in your state.

Find Out About Current Efforts to Protect Wildlife

There are many federal and state programs working toward the conservation of wildlife and the recovery of endangered species:

Learn How to Help Protect Wildlife 

There are many ways you can help:

National Wildlife Refuges

The National Wildlife Refuge System (NWRS) administers a national network of lands and waters for the conservation, management, and restoration of the fish, wildlife, and plant resources and their habitats within the United States. The NWRS:

To find a wildlife refuge near you, visit the national wildlife refuge locator.

Report a Dead, Abandoned, or Injured Animal

You can report injured animals and dead wildlife for removal by contacting your local or state wildlife offices, or regional U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Law Enforcement office.

Report Dead Wildlife

Report Abandoned and Injured Animals


If you find a young animal, do not assume it has been abandoned. Often, the parents are just out hunting or feeding. Wait at least four hours for the parent to return before taking action.

Once you are certain that the wild animal is abandoned, or immediately in the case of an injured wild animal, you can contact the following offices for help with finding a rehabilitator:

If you see an animal, such as a black bear or cougar, that is out of its normal territory or has some abnormality, contact your state fish and wildlife office.

Domestic Animals

If you find an abandoned or injured domestic animal, such as a dog or a cat, call your local animal shelter or humane society. You can find their number online or in your local telephone directory.

Eagle Feathers and Parts

The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act made it illegal for anyone to collect eagles, their feathers, or parts without a permit.

Get a Permit to Receive Eagle Feathers and Parts

Only enrolled members of a federally-recognized Native American tribe can get a permit from the Fish and Wildlife Service's (FWS) National Eagle Repository to receive eagle feathers and parts for religious and cultural purposes.

Report Illegal Possession of Eagle Feathers and Parts

Contact a regional FWS Office of Law Enforcement to report the illegal possession of eagles, their feathers, or parts.

Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Last Updated: June 28, 2019