Skip to main content

Pay and Benefits for Federal Employees

Learn more about pay and benefits for federal employees.

Pay Scales for Federal Employees

The government publishes new pay tables for federal employees every year. 

Federal Employee Salaries

The president and Congress decide how much, if any, pay raise federal workers will receive in the next calendar year.

You can learn about 2022 pay scales and benefits for members of the Foreign Service, including consular agents, from the State Department.

Federal Employees Pay Social Security Taxes

All federal employees hired in 1984 or later pay Social Security taxes. This includes the president, the vice president, and members of Congress. It also includes federal judges and most political appointees.

They all pay the same amount of Social Security taxes as people working in the private sector.

Benefit Programs for Federal Employees and Survivors

To learn about your federal benefits or get help with them, contact your agency's personnel or human resources office. And visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website. You can also Contact OPM.

Learn About Benefits Through OPM

By visiting the OPM Healthcare and Insurance pages, you can:


Find Information About Specific Benefit Programs

Go directly to the program you’re interested in:


 Enroll In or Change Federal Benefits

  • If you are a current employee, you can only enroll in or change your federal employee benefits during the annual Open Season
    • You may enroll in or change your plans outside Open Season only if you experience a qualifying life event, such as marriage.  
  • New employees can enroll in benefits outside of Open Season.
  • Open Season does not include FEGLI. Outside of FEGLI's infrequent open seasons, you can enroll or increase your coverage if:
    • You  take a physical exam or 
    • You have a qualifying life event

 Learn more about enrolling in, changing, or canceling FEGLI benefits.

Federal Benefits for Retirees and Survivors

Federal retirees and their survivors are also eligible for these benefit programs. For further help with benefits, contact OPM Retirement Services.

Civil Service Retirement

If you've retired from the federal government or plan to, get to know the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)'s retirement services.  You can contact them for help with your federal retirement benefits.

Federal Employee Retirement Planning and Management

OPM has information to help you:

Thrift Savings Plan for Current Employees

As a current federal employee, you can contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). The TSP offers the same types of savings and tax benefits as a 401(k) plan.

Retirement Credit for Military Service

Military service does not automatically count toward civil service retirement. To receive credit for military service performed after 1956, you must pay a deposit.

Federal Taxes on Government Pensions

Your pension or annuity payment may be taxable. Find out with the online tool Is My Pension or Annuity Payment Taxable?

Survivors of Federal Employees and Retirees

If you’re the survivor of a federal employee or retiree, you may qualify for death and survivor benefits. Visit the OPM website to report the death of a federal employee or retiree and apply for death benefits.

Federal Employees' Thrift Savings Plan

The Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) is a retirement plan for federal government employees and members of the military.

On the TSP website, you can:

If you have questions about the TSP or your TSP account, call the participant service line at 1-TSP-YOU-FRST (1-877-968-3778) or TTY at 1-TSP-THRIFT5 (1-877-847-4385).

Note: There are a number of third-party mobile applications that refer to the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) and may ask you for your TSP login information. Providing your information could result in a security risk to your account. If you want to access your TSP account, log in directly at

Protect Your TSP Account From Fraud

Scammers claiming to be from the TSP have contacted TSP participants. They may ask for sensitive information or talk about investment opportunities. Learn the warning signs of scams and find out how to protect your TSP account.   

Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI)

The Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance Program (FEGLI) covers over 4 million federal employees, retirees, and family members.

Questions About Your Coverage

  • Current employees: Contact your agency's personnel office. Your employing agency maintains all of your records, including designation of beneficiary forms. OPM and the Office of Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (OFEGLI) do not have access to your records and cannot answer questions about coverage or beneficiaries. 
  • Retirees: Contact the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Retirement Office at 1-888-767-6738 or send an email to
Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Last Updated: October 28, 2022