Skip to main content

How to find a veteran

There is no database of contact information for U.S. military veterans. However, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) may be able to reconnect veterans who served together.

The VA can forward a written message from one veteran to another if the recipient's current address is on file. Follow these steps:

  1. Write a message to the veteran.

  2. Place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope.

  3. Write a note to tell the VA who you are trying to reach. Add as much identifying information as you have.

  4. Enclose all this in another envelope and address it to the nearest VA Regional Office.

Call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 if you have questions about the process. 

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.