Whether you're enjoying a vacation trip or you're a regular beachcomber, these tips can help keep you safe on the shore and in the water:
- Find out how to be prepared for potential beach dangers like sharks, jellyfish, and lightning.
- Learn about rip currents and ways to escape if you're caught in one.
- Check local water temperatures before visiting a beach.
- Learn tips for keeping your skin sun-safe while you're at the beach.
Beach regulations for oceans and lakes vary across the United States. To learn about the rules of the beach you want to visit, as well as swimming advisories there, contact the local lifeguards, beach management personnel:
- Visit the Beach Advisory and Closing On-line Notification (BEACON) system.
- Contact your state or local beach program.