Protection of the environment is managed at the federal and state levels.
Air Pollutants, Clean Water, and Safe Drinking Laws
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) addresses several issues, from setting limits on certain air pollutants to enforcing federal clean water and safe drinking laws. In addition, EPA enforces federal regulations to reduce the impact of businesses on the environment.
- For more information, visit EPA: Laws and Regulations.
- EPA Small Business Gateway provides environmental information and contacts for small businesses.
The Endangered Species Act (ESA) was signed in 1973 to provide for the protection and conservation of threatened and endangered plants and animals as well as their habitats. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) and the National Marine Fisheries Service are responsible for administering the ESA:
- Learn which species are endangered in your state and the measures that are being taken to protect them.
- These laws and regulations enforce the protection of threatened species.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and EPA have a cooperative arrangement to carry out the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act. The FDA has responsibility over the safety of food and any substance that is applied to the human body.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), a part of the U.S. Department of Labor, deals with problems with the environment inside the workplace. This includes the presence or handling of chemicals and noxious fumes.
Issues Relating to Tribal, State, and Local Agencies
Many environmental programs have been delegated to the states and they have primary responsibility over them. In addition, some environmental laws and regulations apply to tribal government operations.
- For issues handled by state agencies, refer to the Directory of State Departments of Environmental Protection.
- If you have local concerns, consult the Directory of County Offices.
- The American Indian Environmental Office (AIEO) has information on EPA's laws and regulations that apply to tribal governments.