Change Your Address and Other U.S. Post Office Services

Find answers to the most popular Post Office questions.

Change Your Address

Are you moving? Report your change of address to continue receiving mail and government benefits.

Change Your Address with the Postal Service

  • Go to to change your address online. This is the preferred method for speed and convenience, and you immediately get an email confirmation of the change.
  • Go to your local post office and request a Movers Guide.

You can also ask the USPS to temporarily change your address or hold your mail.

Change Your Address with Other Government Agencies

Other federal and state agencies to contact when changing your address include:

Back to Top

File a Complaint with the U.S. Postal Service

If you have a complaint about the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), need more information, or have a suggestion or compliment, you can let them know in one of several ways:

  • Use the USPS website's Email Us form. Select an inquiry type that most closely relates to the complaint or question that you have. On the website, you can also file a claim or request a refund for shipping.

  • Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) or TTY: 1-800-877-8339.

  • Speak to the station manager (postmaster) at a local post office.

  • Write to the U.S. Postal Service's Consumer Advocate office at:

        United States Postal Service

        Office of the Consumer Advocate

        475 L'Enfant Plaza SW

        Washington DC 20260-2200

Theft, Fraud, Waste, or Abuse Committed by the USPS or a USPS Employee

File a complaint with the USPS Office of the Inspector General (OIG) by:

Mail Fraud or Abuse Committed by a Person or Company

The U.S. Postal Inspection Service is the federal law enforcement agency that protects the mail system. Contact them to report:

  • Mail fraud - file an online mail fraud complaint.

  • Mail theft - use the email form to explain the issue. Under Inquiry Type, select Problem. Under Customer Service, select Support, and Mail Theft. Under Additional Information, explain why your complaint is mail theft-related.

  • Identity theft - report U.S. Mail-related identity theft via the online identity theft complaint form.  

The USPS, its inspector general, and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service handle complaints about service-related issues. If you have a comment or complaint about a major policy change, such as postage rates, contact the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) using their online contact form.

Back to Top

Find ZIP Codes and Post Offices

You can find ZIP codes and post office locations with online tools from the U.S. Postal Service (USPS).

ZIP Code

Use the ZIP code lookup tool to search for a ZIP code by address, city, company name, or partial address. You can also search for all city/town names in a ZIP code.

Post Office

Use the Post Office Locator to search for post offices, approved postal providers, self service kiosks, collection boxes, and other services.

Back to Top

Last Updated: April 24, 2017

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!