Skip to main content

Protect Yourself from Recalled Products

Recalls protect the public from products that may cause illness or injuries. A government agency or manufacturer will alert the public to take specific actions.

Some recalls ban the sale of an item and instruct you to throw away the product. Other recalls ask you to return the item for replacement or repair. The seller will replace the defective part to reduce the danger of using the product. Commonly recalled products include:

  • Child safety seats
  • Cosmetics
  • Food
  • Medication
  • Toys
  • Vehicles

Before you buy a product, especially for a child, find out if the manufacturer has recalled it. Visit these websites to find the latest on safety recalls:

  • lists recalls from federal agencies. Sign up for free email notifications on recalls.
  • publishes safety information on vehicles and equipment, such as children's car seats.
  • lists meat, sausage, poultry, and processed egg product recalls.
  • lists food recalls (non-meat products, fruits, vegetables, seafood, shelled eggs, and infant formulas), medicines, medical devices, cosmetics, biologics, radiation-emitting products, veterinary drugs, and pet food.
  • publishes food recalls from across the government.

Reporting Safety Concerns

The government accepts complaints about unsafe and mislabeled products. allows you to report incidents and safety concerns with consumer products. You can also read about incidents reported by other people.

Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Last Updated: November 10, 2022