Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


This site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Federal Personnel Records and Employment Verification

Get copies of your records, replace your ID, or verify employment.

Federal Civilian Personnel Records

Do you need copies of your federal civilian employee personnel records? Here's how to get them.

Current and Recently-Departed Employees 

Contact the human resources office of the agency where you work or worked.

  • Note that most agencies require a formal written request for the release of personal employment information.
  • If you are a former employee, contact your agency only if it's been less than 120 days since you left your job.
  • Find a list of U.S. government department and agency websites on

Former and Retired Employees

If you are a former or retired federal employee and it has been more than 120 days since you left your federal job, request your records from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Make your request in writing, signed and dated, and include:

  • The full name under which you were formerly employed 
  • Your Social Security Number 
  • Your date of birth
  • Name(s) and location(s) of employing agencies
  • Beginning and ending dates of service

Send requests to:

National Personnel Records Center, Annex 
1411 Boulder Boulevard 
Valmeyer, IL 62295

Fax: 618-935-3014

NARA will not accept requests for information for personnel or any other type of records by phone. 

For other questions or concerns:

Federal Employment Verification

Do you need to verify that someone works or worked for the federal government?

If the employee currently works for a federal agency or worked for one less than six months ago, contact that agency's human resources office:

  • Find a federal agency.
  • Use the government section of your local telephone directory.

If the employee worked for a federal agency more than six months ago, learn who can access federal personnel records and how to submit a written request for copies of records.

Smart Card - Federal Employee ID Card

The Department of Homeland Security requires every federal agency to issue a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) smart card to its employees and contractors. The card's electronic chip contains the employee's personal data, including images of fingerprints and digital certificates that allow access to federal buildings and systems. 

The PIV smart card is mandated by Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12.

Problems with smart cards

If your PIV smart card has been lost or stolen or you need help with other PIV issues, contact the agency that issued your card.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter Email

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

Last Updated: April 10, 2019