Travel for Federal Employees

Learn where to get the current policies on travel by U.S. government workers.

Federal Travel Regulations and Policies

Federal civilian employees and others authorized to travel at the government’s expense must follow the policies defined in the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR). The FTR includes policies on:

Other travel-related policies that apply specifically to federal employees include:

Most agencies have additional requirements that expand on what is included in the FTR. If you're a federal traveler with questions about the FTR or travel reimbursement issues, contact your agency travel manager. If you still have questions, submit them to the General Services Administration.

Back to Top

Per Diem Rates

Federal employees who travel for work are reimbursed for their lodging, meals, and tips. The maximum amount they may receive varies by location and time of year.

Per diem rates for travel within the continental United States are established by the General Services Administration (GSA) for each fiscal year. These rates do not include lodging taxes, which may be reimbursed as a separate expense.

Per Diem Rates for Alaska, Hawaii, and Territories outside of the Continental United States

The Department of Defense (DOD) establishes the non-contiguous U.S. per diem rates for Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, and other non-foreign locations. 

Back to Top

Resources for Federal Employees on Travel

The General Services Administration manages a number of cost-saving programs and resources for federal travelers on official business. These include:

Share This Page:

Back to Top

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!

Last Updated: January 2, 2018