Skip to main content

Adjustment of status: Get a Green Card if you are in the United States

Adjustment of status allows a nonimmigrant visa holder to become a permanent U.S. resident with a Green Card. Learn if you are eligible, how to apply, and how much it costs.

How adjustment of status works

If you are currently in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa, you may be able to stay and apply for adjustment of status. This will allow you to become a permanent resident and get a Green Card. Before you can apply for adjustment of status, you or someone else must file an immigration petition for you.

Learn about the adjustment of status process, including:

  • Determining what Green Card category you might be eligible for
  • Filing your immigrant petition
  • Which forms and documents you will need
  • What in-person appointments you may have with the USCIS
  • When you will receive your Green Card

Find out the cost of getting a Green Card

You will need to pay a fee to apply for an adjustment of status to become a permanent resident and get your Green Card.

LAST UPDATED: December 8, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.