Adjustment of status: Get a Green Card if you are in the United States
Adjustment of status allows a nonimmigrant visa holder to become a permanent U.S. resident with a Green Card. Learn if you are eligible, how to apply, and how much it costs.
How adjustment of status works
If you are currently in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa, you may be able to stay and apply for adjustment of status. This will allow you to become a permanent resident and get a Green Card. Before you can apply for adjustment of status, you or someone else must file an immigration petition for you.
Learn about the adjustment of status process, including:
- Determining what Green Card category you might be eligible for
- Filing your immigrant petition
- Which forms and documents you will need
- What in-person appointments you may have with the USCIS
- When you will receive your Green Card
Find out the cost of getting a Green Card
You will need to pay a fee to apply for an adjustment of status to become a permanent resident and get your Green Card.
LAST UPDATED: July 27, 2023