Military Records and Identification

Answers to common questions about military records and IDs.

Correct a Military Service Record or Discharge

You can request changes to your military record or discharge from the review or correction board for your branch of the service. Surviving spouses, next of kin, or legal representatives of deceased or incompetent veterans can also request changes.

For more information, contact:

Back to Top

Request Military Records

You can order military records from World War I to the present from the National Personnel Records Center-Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR). Types of records available include:

  • Military Discharge Records (DD-214)
  • Health and medical records of discharged and deceased veterans
  • Medical treatment records of military retirees
  • Records for dependents treated at naval medical facilities

Pre-World War I military records are stored at the National Archives Building in Washington, DC.

How to Order Military Records

If you are a veteran or the next of kin of a deceased veteran you can order copies of military records online.

Anyone can request military records by:

Most requests are free for veterans and next-of-kin. You will be told if there is a fee.

Archival requests, including records of veterans discharged in 1954 or prior, have copying fees.

Contact the National Personnel Records Center

You can check the status of your request or get more information by contacting the records center.

Back to Top

Get a Military Identification (ID) Card

Military identification (ID) cards are U.S. government property for use only by the issued card holder.

Get or Replace a Military ID Card

Report a Lost/Stolen ID Card

  • If you are a military member, report lost/stolen cards to your base security officer or through your chain of command.
  • If you find a military ID card, return it to the nearest ID card issuing facility using the RAPIDS Site Locator or mail it to:

ATTN: CAC Returns
1600 N. Beauregard St., Suite 100
Alexandria, VA 22312

Veterans Health Identification Card

If you are a veteran enrolled in the VA health care system, you will receive a Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC) for use at VA medical facilities.

Share This Page: Facebook Twitter Email

Back to Top

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!

Last Updated: November 21, 2017