Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Visa Status, Renewals, or Problems

Find out how to check your visa status and how you can renew, extend or change a visa. If your visa or arrival/departure record is lost or stolen, find information on what steps to take for getting another one. Also, learn what you can do if your visa application is denied.

Check the Status of a Visa Application

To check on the status of your U.S. Visa application:

Visa Denials

U.S. consular officers have decision-making authority regarding nonimmigrant visa applications. If your application is denied, ask the consular officer to explain why. If your application was denied, you are not eligible to reapply for a visa, but can apply for a waiver instead.

Loss or Theft of a Visa or Arrival/Departure Record

If you lost your visa or the Arrival/Departure Records (a Form I-94) to enter the U.S., the Bureau of Consular Affairs has guidance on reporting and re-issuance of travel documents:

  • File a police report and get the number of the report and the officer's name. 
  • Request replacement of a lost/stolen arrival/departure record (Form I-94).
  • Report the lost/stolen visa or Form I-94 to your embassy.
  • Report and apply for a replacement of your visa lost/stolen to the U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad.

Important Tip: Make a copy of your passport biographic page, U.S. visa and admission stamp or your I-94 admission number. 

Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Last Updated: September 22, 2020