How to seek asylum in the U.S.
To seek asylum, you must already be in the U.S. and believe you will be in danger of persecution if you return to your country. Learn how to seek asylum and sponsor someone else.
To be eligible for asylum, you must be:
- Inside the United States
- Able to demonstrate that you were persecuted or have a fear of persecution in your home country due to your:
- Social group
- Political opinion
Learn the process of seeking asylum in the U.S., including:
- Working in the U.S.
- Helping family members seek asylum
- Filing for permanent residence (Green Card)
How to sponsor an asylum seeker
If you came to the U.S. in the last 2 years as an asylee, you may be able to sponsor your spouse and qualifying children to join you.
Find out how to sponsor your family member for asylum. Learn:
- How to qualify as a sponsor
- Who is eligible to be sponsored to come to the U.S.
- How to download and fill out Form I-730 to request asylum for your family member
LAST UPDATED: May 5, 2023
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.