How to seek refuge in the U.S.
To seek refugee status, you must be outside the U.S. and believe you will be persecuted in your country. Find out if you and your family can qualify as refugees and how to apply.
To be eligible for refugee status, you must be:
- Outside the United States
- Able to demonstrate that you were persecuted or have a fear of persecution in your home country due to your:
- Social group
- Political opinion
Learn the process of seeking refugee status, including:
- Coming to the U.S.
- Bringing your family to the U.S.
- Finding a job
- Filing for permanent residency (Green Card)
How to sponsor a refugee
If you came to the United States in the last 2 years as a refugee, you may be able to sponsor your spouse and qualifying children to join you.
- How to qualify as a sponsor
- Who is eligible to be sponsored to come to the U.S.
- How to download and fill out Form I-730 to request the refuge of your family member
LAST UPDATED: June 15, 2023