Skip to main content

Get help with child care costs and learn about Head Start

Learn how to find child care financial assistance and Head Start programs.

Child care help for families with low income or in the military

Find child care financial assistance programs in your state.

Families with low income can get help paying for child care. States and local organizations offer child care vouchers, scholarships, cash assistance, and more. Eligibility requirements are different in each state. 

Military families may qualify for military-operated child care and assistance programs. Learn more about child care financial assistance for military families.

Head Start offers free services for eligible children

Find a Head Start center near you.

Head Start offers learning and development services for children up to age 3 (Early Head Start) and ages 3 to 5 (traditional Head Start). Local organizations and school districts run Head Start programs. 

Head Start can connect your family with free local medical and dental services. Some Early Head Start programs also provide prenatal services for pregnant people.

Find out if your family is eligible for free Head Start services

Head Start is free to families with low income, at or below federal poverty guidelines. Check the poverty guidelines to see if your family qualifies.

Regardless of income, children are eligible for Head Start and Early Head Start if:

  • Your family receives public assistance (TANF, SSI, or SNAP)
  • Children are in foster care
  • Children are experiencing homelessness

How to apply for Head Start or Early Head Start

To apply, contact your local Head Start program. 

Learn more about how to apply for Head Start or Early Head Start in your area.

LAST UPDATED: March 6, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.