Skip to main content

Prove your citizenship: born outside the U.S. to a U.S. citizen parent

Learn how to prove your U.S. citizenship if you were born without documentation outside the U.S. to a parent who was a U.S. citizen.

Typically, when a child is born outside the U.S. to parents who are U.S. citizens, they would file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The U.S. Department of State issues CRBAs before a child turns 18 and are proof of the child's U.S. citizenship. Learn more about CRBAs, including how to apply for one or get it replaced or corrected.

If your parents did not apply for a CRBA, you have two options for getting your citizenship recognized:

  1. Applying for a U.S. passport - if your parent did not register your birth at a U.S. embassy or consulate, you will need:
    • Your foreign birth record showing your parents' names
    • Evidence of a parent’s U.S. citizenship
    • Your parents' marriage certificate, if applicable
    • A statement from your U.S. citizen parent(s) which lists where and when they lived in the U.S. and abroad before your birth
  2. Applying for a Certificate of Citizenship - Submit Form N-600 to get a Certificate of Citizenship. This document serves as proof that you are a U.S. citizen. Learn more about Form N-600 and how to submit it.

LAST UPDATED: December 8, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.