Skip to main content

Contact an active duty service member or retiree

There is no database that you can search to find an active-duty U.S. military member or retiree. But you may be able to contact them through their branch of service.

If you need to verify someone’s active duty status, there is a separate process. Use the Department of Defense's website to verify that someone is on active duty.

Locate someone on active duty or a retiree

Each branch of the military has policies for contacting service members and retirees. The Army and Coast Guard do not offer a way to locate service members.

To find someone in the other branches, write a letter to that branch. Your request should include the person's:

  • Full name
  • Social Security number
  • Grade or rank
  • Last known duty station
  • Member or serial number (for Air Force)
  • Date of birth (for Air Force)

To receive a reply, include your name and contact information.

Send your letter to an address in the links below.

Find Someone in the Instructions
Air Force

Follow the instructions to use the Air Force’s Worldwide Locator.


See the Marines FAQ to help you locate an active duty Marine or retiree. Go to the "Miscellaneous" section of the page. Then select "Personal Locator."


The Navy has an FAQ to help you locate an active duty member or retiree. Go to the section titled "How do I find a friend or family member in the Navy?"

The U.S. Army and the U.S. Coast Guard no longer provide military locator services.

Contact a service member in an emergency

The Red Cross can help you contact a service member during an emergency. Submit your request online or by phone at 1-877-272-7337.

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.