Skip to main content

Learn about K-1 fiancé(e) visas and sponsoring a future spouse

If you are engaged to a U.S. citizen, you may be able to come to the U.S. to get married. Your future spouse must sponsor you, and you must apply for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa.

How to sponsor a fiancé(e) and apply for a K-1 visa

If you are engaged to a U.S. citizen and plan to marry and live in the U.S., your fiancé(e) must sponsor you first by filing a petition. After your fiancé(e)’s petition is approved, you can apply for a K-1 visa to come to the U.S.

Follow the steps to petition for a fiancé(e) and to apply for a K-1 visa. On that page, you will also learn:

  • How to prove you are eligible by providing documentation that confirms your:
    • Relationship with your future spouse 
    • Identity
    • Income or financial support
  • How to bring eligible children
  • What forms to use
  • What fees you must pay

What happens after your K-1 visa is approved?

If you are issued a K-1 visa:

  • You must travel to the United States to marry your fiancé(e) within 90 days of arriving. 
  • After you marry, you may apply for an adjustment of status to get a Permanent Resident (Green) Card.
  • K-1 visas expire after 90 days and cannot be extended.
  • If you do not marry within 90 days, you must leave the country or face possible deportation.

LAST UPDATED: December 8, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.