Skip to main content

Immigrant visa to work in the U.S.

Learn about the requirements to apply for an immigrant visa through employment and how to sponsor a permanent worker.

Learn about work visas

If you have the necessary education or skills, you may be eligible for a permanent worker visa to immigrate with your family to the U.S.

To work in the U.S. temporarily, learn about nonimmigrant work visas and how to apply for a work permit.

Types of immigrant work visas and their requirements

There are five categories of immigrant visas for permanent workers. The requirements to qualify vary depending on the type of visa.

See the 5 categories of permanent worker visas.

  • Each category is intended for different professions or skills.
  • Some categories require you to have a job offer from a U.S. employer (sponsor) before submitting your visa application.
  • Some categories require the employer (sponsor) to file an application with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and obtain a labor certification from the Department of Labor (DOL).

How to apply for an immigrant work visa

Learn about the requirements and the process to apply for each of these employment-based immigrant visas, including:

  • Forms and documents you will need
  • Processing fees
  • Visa interview
  • Medical exams
  • How to become a permanent resident (Green Card holder)

How to sponsor a permanent worker for a U.S. job

To hire a foreign worker, you may have to sponsor them so they can get an immigrant work visa. 

First, find out if you have to get a labor certification from the Department of Labor (DOL). 

Once you have been certified, file your certification along with Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Workers with USCIS.

LAST UPDATED: December 8, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.