Requirements for Joining the U.S. Military
To join the enlisted ranks, in general you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder
- Non-citizens must speak, read, and write English fluently.
- Non-citizens must currently live in the U.S.
- Be in good health
- Be 17 to 40 years old (different branches have different age requirements)
- Have a high school diploma (some branches will accept a GED)
- Pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test
To join as an officer, you must also have attended college.
Waivers for Conditions that May Disqualify You
A recruiter may ask a military command to overlook a condition that would otherwise disqualify you. Types of waivers include:
- Mental Health
However, there are no guarantees you will get a waiver.
Learn More About Military Service
If you're curious about military service but are not ready to contact a recruiter, visit TodaysMilitary.com.
Contact a Recruiter or Apply Online
- Active duty & Reserve: 1-800-550-ARMY (1-800-550-2769)
- National Guard: 1-800-GO-GUARD (1-800-464-8273)
- Active Duty: 1-800-423-USAF (1-800-423-8723)
- Reserve: 1-800-257-1212
- National Guard: 1-800-TO-GO-ANG (1-800-864-6264)
- Active Duty and Reserve : 1-800-USA-NAVY (1-800-872-6289)
- Active Duty and Reserve: 1-800-MARINES (1-800-627-4637)