Individual lawyers (also called attorneys) are experts in different areas of the law. Some attorneys specialize in a certain field of law, such as business, civil, criminal, or juvenile law. You will need to determine which type of attorney is right for your legal situation. Once you find an attorney, ask about their experience, areas of expertise, and questions such as, "How would you handle my case?" and "What do you charge for your services/what is your fee structure?"
Besides asking your friends and family for the name of a good lawyer or checking the phone book, you can find legal aid online.
- American Bar Association Online Lawyer Referral Directory - Find a lawyer in your area.
- Legal Services Corporation (LSC) - Find legal aid for low-income individuals and families.
- Pro Bono Directory Map - Locate free legal help by state.
- Free Legal Answers - If you have a low income and qualify for the program, you can submit your questions about civil law issues online to the American Bar Association and get answers for free from volunteer lawyers.
- LawHelp.org - Locate free legal aid programs in your community. Find information about your legal rights by topic, such as housing, divorce, child support, and debt collection.
- Contact your state consumer protection office, which is often part of the state attorney general’s office, for help resolving consumer issues. Depending on the state and office, they may mediate complaints, conduct investigations, prosecute offenders of consumer laws, and advocate for consumer rights. Note: Your state consumer office cannot represent you in a case or against a company.
- Immigration Legal Services - Search your state for free legal services providers for individuals in immigration proceedings.
Military and Veterans
- Stateside Legal - Find free legal help for military members, veterans, and their families.
- Legal Help for Veterans - Find free legal clinics and other resources from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Armed Forces Legal Assistance - Find nearby military installations with legal assistance offices.
People with Disabilities
- National Disability Rights Network - Locate legal advocacy service providers by state for people with disabilities.
- Legal Help for Older Adults - Find legal service provider listings and services by state for older adults.
- LegalHotlines.org - Find legal services by state for people over 60.
- Pension Rights Center - Get free legal assistance for problems with your pension, profit sharing, or retirement savings plans.