Skip to main content

Temporary visa to work in the U.S.

Learn about the requirements to apply for a nonimmigrant temporary worker visa and to sponsor a worker for employment in the U.S.

Find out if you qualify for a temporary worker nonimmigrant visa

Before you apply for any of these visas, your prospective employer must first file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on your behalf. After your employer’s petition is approved, you will be able to apply for a temporary work visa.

Find information about temporary worker visas and learn about the professions that qualify for the different classifications.

  1. Find the description in the table that corresponds to the job you want to do in the U.S.

  2. Select the classification number.

  3. Read about the eligibility requirements and the application process for that visa classification. 

How to sponsor a temporary worker

To hire a temporary (nonimmigrant) worker, you generally have to file a petition with USCIS to allow the employee to come to the U.S.

LAST UPDATED: December 15, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.