Skip to main content

Form I-94 arrival-departure record for U.S. visitors

Forms I-94 and I-94W (for nonimmigrants with a visa waiver) record the arrival and departure dates of people visiting the U.S.

Who needs an I-94 form?

Everyone entering the U.S. needs an I-94 or I-94W form except:

  • American citizens
  • Returning resident aliens
  • Non-U.S. citizens with immigrant visas
  • Most Canadian citizens who are visiting or in transit

How to apply for or see your current Form I-94

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) typically issues Form I-94 electronically. 

  • If you are traveling by air or sea, a Customs and Border Protection officer will issue you an electronic I-94 at your point of entry during the admission process. 
  • If you are traveling by land, you can apply for an I-94 in person at your point of entry. Or you can apply within 7 days before entering the U.S. through the official I-94 website or the CBP One app. When you do so, you will pay a $6 fee. 

With the CBP One app or I-94 website, you can also:

  • See your most recent I-94 form and print it, in case you need your record of legal admission to the U.S. The CBP One app also allows you to have a digital version of your I-94 on your phone.
  • Get a history of your arrivals and departures from the U.S. for the last 10 years
  • Find out how long you are legally allowed to stay in the US
  • Read frequently asked questions about the I-94

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) sends visitors email reminders about their remaining time in the U.S. In addition, it sends notifications to travelers who may have exceeded their admission period.

Departing the U.S. with Form I-94

In most cases, your departure from the U.S. will be recorded electronically, whether you are traveling by air, land, or sea.

Unusual I-94 departure situations

  • If your Form I-94 was issued to you on paper, you must give it to the airline or a CBP officer when you depart the U.S. 
  • If you received your I-94 electronically when you entered the U.S. by air, land, or sea, but plan to depart by land to Canada or Mexico, your exit may not be recorded properly. This issue may occur if you are not a Canadian or Mexican citizen and you depart by land and re-enter the U.S. after the expiration date stamped in your passport. In this case, you may want to travel with evidence of your land departure, including:
    • Entry stamps in your passport
    • Transportation tickets
    • Other receipts

I-94W for travelers under the Visa Waiver Program through ESTA

Citizens of Visa Waiver Program countries must have an approved and current authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) to apply for their I-94W in advance. You can apply through the official I-94 website or the CBP One app.

LAST UPDATED: May 24, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.