Skip to main content

Entering the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda

Learn what travel documents you need to enter the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda.

To strengthen U.S. border security, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative set standards for proving identity and citizenship for people crossing U.S. borders. 

Visit the Department of Homeland Security's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative page to find the specific travel documents you will need to enter the U.S. from these locations as a U.S. citizen or a non-citizen.

Port of entry officials issue everyone entering the U.S. a Form I-94, which electronically records arrival dates. If you are a Canadian citizen, you will not need Form I-94 in most cases if you are visiting or in transit through the U.S. Learn more about Form I-94 and how to apply.

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.