Bank, credit, and securities complaints
Learn where to file a complaint about banking and investment products, retirement plans, and the companies and professionals that offer them.
File a complaint about a financial institution
To report problems with your bank, financial institution, lender, or broker:
- Contact the branch manager, the customer service hotline, or the institution's website.
- Use this sample complaint letter as a guide to help you explain the problem and how you want the bank to fix it.
- Provide copies of receipts, checks, or other proof of the transaction.
File banking and credit complaints with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
If contacting your bank directly does not help, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) complaint page to:
- See which specific banking and credit services and products you can complain about through the CFPB
- Understand the complaint process
- Find out what documents and information you need to include with your complaint
- Start the complaint filing process
File a complaint about securities and retirement plans
You can complain to state and federal regulators about investment securities such as stocks and bonds, retirement plans, and the companies that deal in them.
- Find your state's securities regulator.
- Complain to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) about investments.
Retirement and pension plans
- File a complaint online with the Employee Benefits Security Administration about your 401(k), profit sharing, defined benefit, or other plan.
LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023