Skip to main content

Bank, credit, and securities complaints

Learn where to file a complaint about banking and investment products, retirement plans, and the companies and professionals that offer them.

File a complaint about a financial institution

To report problems with your bank, financial institution, lender, or broker: 

  • Contact the branch manager, the customer service hotline, or the institution's website.
    • Use this sample complaint letter as a guide to help you explain the problem and how you want the bank to fix it.
    • Provide copies of receipts, checks, or other proof of the transaction.

File banking and credit complaints with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

If contacting your bank directly does not help, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) complaint page to:

  • See which specific banking and credit services and products you can complain about through the CFPB
  • Understand the complaint process
  • Find out what documents and information you need to include with your complaint
  • Start the complaint filing process

File a complaint about securities and retirement plans

You can complain to state and federal regulators about investment securities such as stocks and bonds, retirement plans, and the companies that deal in them.

Investment securities

Retirement and pension plans

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.