Skip to main content

Get paid as a caregiver for a family member

Some government programs pay family or friends of people with disabilities to help with daily activities, including personal care, giving medicine, cooking, cleaning, and more.

Become a paid caregiver through a state Medicaid program

If someone with a disability already receives Medicaid, their state may allow a family member or friend to become a paid caregiver.

Many states call this a consumer-directed personal assistance program. Each state has different requirements and rules. And the amount the program pays you to care for a family member varies by state. Contact your state’s Medicaid office for more information.

Caring for a family member who is not eligible for Medicaid

Long-term care insurance

Some long-term care insurance policies allow family members to get paid as caregivers. Contact your insurance agent and ask for a written confirmation of benefits.

Paid family leave

Some states require employers to offer family leave programs and some programs pay you to care for a family member. The eligibility requirements, the amount you will receive to provide care, and how long you can take off work varies by state. To learn more, contact your state labor office.

Local Area Agencies on Aging

If your state does not offer a paid family leave program, an Area Agency on Aging (AAA) may be able to help with:

Veterans programs

There are two programs available for veterans:

LAST UPDATED: July 10, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.