If you have a disability and you're looking for work, these resources can help.
Develop Your Work and Job-Seeking Skills
- Get in-person counseling, training, support, and services to help you find and keep a job. Contact:
- The Workers with Disabilities section at CareerOneStop.org has resources to help you:
- Develop job skills
- Conduct a job search
- Prepare for interviews
- Find job tips and resources from the Campaign for Disability Employment's What Can You Do? website. There's information for families, educators, and employers too.
- Your local Independent Living Center can help you live on your own. They also offer job training and coaching.
Find a Job
- Ticket to Work trains Social Security disability recipients age 18 - 64 who want to work. It's free and voluntary.
- AbilityOne.gov helps people who are blind or have significant disabilities find jobs. Job openings are with nonprofit agencies nationwide.
- The federal government has many jobs open to people with disabilities.
Job Help for Young Workers
- Find resources to help you move from school to work.
- Check out Job Corps. It's a free residential education and job training program for young adults. It accommodates participants age 18-24 with disabilities.
Job Help for Veterans
- Take advantage of the Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) program for veterans. It offers help with:
- Job training
- Employment accommodations
- Resume development
- Job-seeking skills
- Find more job help programs for veterans. These include:
- Help starting your own business
- Qualifying for a hiring preference with the federal government
Learn About Your Rights
- JAN, the Job Accommodation Network helps you:
- Get answers to your questions about workplace accommodations
- Learn about your rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Visit the Office of Disability Employment Policy website. It explains the laws that protect workers with disabilities from job discrimination.
- Learn about your rights from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Topics include:
- Accommodation for your disability
- Protection against harassment and discrimination