Find a Job

Learn more about how to get a job.

Look for a Job

Finding and getting a job can be a challenging process, but knowing more about job search methods and application techniques may increase your chances of success. CareerOneStop, part of the American Job Center, offers information that may help you:

Other resources:

Jobs for Teens and Young Adults

Jobs for Older Workers

The Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) is a community service and work-based job training program for older Americans. The program provides training for low-income, unemployed seniors.

If you are an older worker looking for a job, here are some tips to help you focus employers on the positive aspects of hiring an older worker.

Jobs for Laid-off Workers

If you have recently lost your job, visit CareerOneStop's Worker ReEmployment for information and resources on job searching, benefits, and training options after a layoff.

Job Scams

While some companies honestly want to help you find a job, others are more interested in taking your money. Learn how to avoid scams or file a complaint:

Back to Top


Apprenticeships combine on-the-job training and related instruction in which you can learn skills needed to advance in your chosen field.

Apprentice programs vary in length from one to six years. During that time, apprentices work and learn as employees. When you complete a registered program, you will receive a nationally recognized certificate from the Department of Labor (DOL) as proof of your qualifications.

For more information:

Back to Top

Employment and Job Training for Veterans

If you are a current or former U.S. servicemember looking for a civilian job, visit:

For federal employment, visit:

Back to Top

Employment Assistance for People with Disabilities

If you are disabled and looking for employment information or assistance with finding employment, there are many job resources available:

  • provides federal, state, and non-governmental employment resources for people with disabilities.
  • Disability Online develops and implements workforce disability policy and program initiatives.
  • The Ticket to Work program supports career development for Social Security disability beneficiaries age 18 through 64 who want to work. The program is free and voluntary.
  • American Job Center provides information and assistance to help individuals, including people with disabilities, find jobs.
  • Check with your State Vocational Rehabilitation Services. These offices provide a variety of job services for people with disabilities, including employment counseling, evaluations, training, and placement.
  • The program provides employment opportunities for people who are blind, or who have other significant disabilities, with nonprofit agencies and community rehabilitation programs across the country.
  • Visit the Disability Employment section of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website. It provides information on the Federal government hiring processes, how to conduct a job search and reasonable accommodation to qualified employees with disabilities. 

Back to Top

Employment of Foreign Nationals

Foreign Nationals Seeking Employment in the United States

If you are a foreign national looking for work in the U.S.:

  1. Find out if you need to meet certain educational and/or professional qualifications or have the necessary professional licenses
  2. Apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), or work permit with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  3. Complete Form I-9 - Employment Eligibility Verification with your employer.
  4. The U.S. Department of State (DOS) will give you an immigrant visa number. Once you have this number:

Your employer will need to file a request (petition) on your behalf.

For general information or if you need help:

Canadian and Mexican Citizens

Citizens of Canada or Mexico may be able to work in the United States under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Professional visa. Apply online or in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Employers Seeking to Hire Foreign Nationals

By law, you must only employ individuals who have permission to work in the U.S. The online E-verify system allows companies to determine the eligibility of potential employees. If you have questions, contact the appropriate E-Verify program support line.

Companies are required to get certified and meet certain conditions for hiring foreign workers. Worksite enforcement investigations are performed by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to protect national security and to look for employers who violate employment laws or engage in abuse or exploitation of workers.

Back to Top

Work From Home

Home-Based Business

If you want to start your own home-based business, the Small Business Administration (SBA) offers a guide for home-based businesses. This guide includes start-up resources, tax information, and information about buying a home-based franchise.

Home Office Deduction

If you use a portion of your home for business, you may be able to take a home office tax deduction.

Work-at-Home Scams

Learn what to look for in work-at-home scams. To file a complaint about a scam, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Note: The federal government never charges a fee for information about, or applications for, government jobs. You can search and apply for federal government jobs for free on

Federal Government Telework Guidelines

If you are looking for information on teleworking in the federal government, visit

Back to Top

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer, or we'll tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!