Skip to main content

Government checks and payments

Find out how to report your lost, missing, stolen, or expired government check or direct deposit. Learn why you received a check, how to make a payment, or who to contact for help.

Learn how to report lost, missing, stolen, or expired federal payments

Report your lost, missing, stolen, or expired federal check or direct deposit to the agency that issued the payment. Search for the issuing agency using the A-Z Index of U.S. Government Departments and Agencies.

To get an update on your claim, contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service Call Center.

Find out why you received a check from the government

Look for the agency or reason for the payment in the memo area below your address or in the “issue type” sections of the check. View this diagram of a sample Treasury check. Scroll about halfway down the page to see the diagram. You can look up the authorizing agency directly and contact them to find out why they sent the payment.

If you do not know which agency authorized the payment, call the Bureau of the Fiscal Service Call Center at 1-855-868-0151. They can help you determine which government agency you need to contact.

Use the Treasury Check Verification System to confirm that the check you received is legitimate and issued by the government.

Learn how to make a payment to the federal government and where to get help

Use to make secure electronic payments to government agencies from your checking or savings account.

In most cases, the agency that is receiving your payment can help you with questions about:

  • The money you owe
  • Refunds
  • The status of an application or case

Visit’s support page to search for forms to make payments or get contact information to speak to directly.


LAST UPDATED: April 3, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.