How to get insurance through the ACA Health Insurance Marketplace
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) gives more people access to health insurance. Use the ACA's Health Insurance Marketplace to find health insurance options.
These options can include medical, dental, vision, and more. Learn if you are eligible for coverage and enroll in a plan through the Marketplace.
Find out if you are eligible for a Health Insurance Marketplace plan
See if you are eligible to use the Health Insurance Marketplace. There is no income limit. And under the ACA:
- Insurers cannot refuse coverage based on gender or a pre-existing condition.
- There are no lifetime or annual limits on coverage.
- Young adults can stay on their family's insurance plan until age 26.
How to enroll in a Health Insurance Marketplace plan
Go to Healthcare.gov to find your state Health Insurance Marketplace. Each state's Marketplace has its own enrollment instructions.
During the Marketplace open enrollment period each year, you can:
- Choose a plan for the first time
- Continue in your current plan
- Make changes to your current insurance plan
- Choose a new plan to replace your current plan
If you experience a life event like moving or having a baby, you may be able to change your coverage during a special enrollment period.
LAST UPDATED: April 4, 2023
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.