Locate Military Members, Units, and Facilities

Find a military member, unit or facility. Get guidelines on sending mail to servicemembers. Learn about those missing from current and past conflicts.

Locate U.S. Military Personnel and Veterans

If you are trying to find a military member:

  • Call or write to the military personnel locator for the Navy, Marine Corps or Air Force.
  • The Army and the Coast Guard do not provide locator services.

Contact a Service Member in an Emergency

To reach a military member in an emergency, contact your local Red Cross chapter. The Red Cross will get information from you and relay it to the member.

Find Someone Who Has Left the Military

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) maintains a web site that might help you locate a veteran or service member.

Back to Top

Mail Letters and Packages to Military Members

If you send letters or packages to a service member overseas, you must follow the guidelines and restrictions for all mail entering that country. These may include prohibitions on some foods, entertainment products and toiletry items. Find the restrictions for a specific military zip code, or get them when you create a USPS shipping label.


If you don’t have the member’s current mailing address:

Sending Care Packages

To send care packages:

Transit Times for Mail to Military Members Overseas

These standard transit times for letters and packages will give you an idea when your parcel should arrive, though weather, military operations and other factors may delay delivery. 

Need Help Sending Mail to Service Members?

Back to Top

Commissaries and Exchanges for Military Families

If you are a military member, military retiree or family member of either, you can shop for less at the commissaries and exchanges on posts and bases.

Commissaries are grocery stores. They sell food and household items at cost plus 5 percent—about 30 percent less than most supermarkets.

Exchanges are like department stores. They sell clothing, electronics, home furnishings, etc.

  • They don’t charge sales tax.
  • Most have dry cleaners, barbershops, food courts and more nearby.

Find an exchange in the U.S. or abroad:

Back to Top

Prisoners of War/Missing in Action Service Members

More than 83,000 service members, from World War II to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, are either prisoners of war (POW) or missing in action (MIA). The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) is responsible for the recovery and accounting of these missing service members. 

The DPAA, established in 2015, consolidates former agencies working on aspects of POW/MIA recovery.  Part of its mission is to keep family members of missing personnel informed.

For more information, contact the DPAA.

Back to Top

Last Updated: November 16, 2016

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!