Skip to main content

Military tuition assistance

Service members, veterans, and their families may be able to get help paying for college or training programs.

Compare the rules, timing, amounts, and requirements of the different programs before you select one. In most cases, you can only use one benefit program. 

Military branch scholarship programs

Each branch of the military offers college scholarships to eligible students. They also pay for books and fees and provide stipends. Accepting this scholarship requires you to serve in the military. After college graduation, a graduate will begin a career as a commissioned officer.

ROTC scholarships

The Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) is a scholarship program sponsored by the military. High school seniors, current college students, or enlisted service members can apply for an ROTC scholarship.

Learn more about eligibility, participating campuses, and the application process for each branch of the military.

Coast Guard College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative

The Coast Guard offers scholarships through the College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative (CSPI). In addition to school fees, the program also pays a housing allowance and salary.

Education benefits for veterans and family members

Education benefits for veterans

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers the GI Bill, a benefit that helps veterans pay for college or job training. The GI Bill can cover tuition, housing, fees, and books. Learn about the GI Bill, VA education programs, and your eligibility.

Education benefits for dependents

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.