Skip to main content

Financial assistance and services for Native Americans

Federally recognized tribes can apply for government funding for services and programs. Some programs provide funds directly to tribal members living on or near reservations.

Financial Assistance and Social Services (FASS)

The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) manages the Financial Assistance and Social Services (FASS) program. It gives financial aid to tribal members who cannot get Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), also known as welfare. Qualified members may receive money for:

  • General needs such as food, clothing, shelter, and utilities
  • Child care
  • Emergencies, including homes destroyed by fire, flood, or other disasters
  • Adult care, for in-home or residential care of Native Americans who are older or have a disability
  • Burial costs of tribal members with a low income

Look up and contact your BIA regional office to learn how to apply for FASS benefits.

Find other benefits for Native Americans

Other federal agencies offer a variety of federal benefits and services to tribes and individuals to help with:

  • Education
  • Job training
  • Health care
  • Weatherization

Find these and other federal benefits and services for Native Americans through

LAST UPDATED: July 10, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.