Skip to main content

Housing assistance for Native Americans

The government offers funding to tribes and Native American individuals and families to build, buy, and renovate housing.

Housing help for Native American individuals and families

Native Americans can also apply for general federal housing programs, including those for:

Housing help for Native American veterans

Tribal HUD-VASH - gives rental help and support services to Native American veterans. These vets must:

  • Be homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • Live on or near a reservation or other Indian area
  • Native American Direct Loan (NADL) - a program that helps veterans who are either Native American or married to a Native American get a mortgage. You can use the loan to buy, build, or improve a home on federal trust land. NADLs require:
    • No down payment
    • No private mortgage insurance

Who to contact for housing help 

For housing help, contact the following offices:

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.