Want to add an addition onto your home? Renovate your bathroom or basement? Learn about programs to help pay for your home improvements, as well as tips on hiring a contractor to do the work.
Find Loans and Other Incentives
The most common type of financial help from the government for home repairs or modifications is through home improvement loan programs backed by the government. The loans are through traditional lenders, like banks, but the programs help these lenders make loans that they might normally not fulfill. Some programs are available on a nationwide basis, while others are only on a state or county level. To learn about the options available to you, contact your local Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office.
You can also contact your local, state, or county government housing department.
Find out about loans and other incentives for energy efficient modifications in your state.
Assistance for Certain Demographic Groups
Learn about housing programs the following groups:
- Veterans can contact the Department of Veterans Affairs Home Loans Service.
- Senior citizens can browse the Home Repair and Modification section on the Eldercare Locator website from the Department of Health and Human Services.
- People with disabilities can contact a local vocational rehabilitation service office.
- Native Americans can call the Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Customer Service Center.
- Rural residents can contact a local Rural Development office for information about rural housing grants and loans.
Modifying and Repairing Your Home
Finding a good contractor to do repairs and improvements on your home is important. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides resources and tips on hiring a contractor, questions to ask, and how to report problems.
Before digging on your property, call 811 to be sure you won't damage or be injured by underground utility lines. Some states allow for an online digging request. Timing is different from state to state with some needing two business days in advance and others need as many as 12 working days even if it is just a small project like planting trees or shrubs.