Skip to main content

Where to report workplace safety violations

You have the right to work in a safe environment. If your workplace is unsafe, report your employer to the government agency that regulates it.

Worker rights and safety

Your employer is required to maintain a safe workplace. Review your rights as a worker.

File a complaint with the federal government

Different federal agencies regulate safety of specific industries. Use this table to know where to report safety issues.



File safety complaint


Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)

FAA's online safety complaint form

Interstate trucking

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)

FMCSA's online complaint form or 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238)


Mining Safety and Health Administration (MSHA)

MSHA online complaint form or 1-800-746-1553

All others industries

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)

OSHA online complaint form, 1-800-321-OSHA ( 1-800-321-6742), or

Contact a local OSHA office

File a complaint with a state agency

Each state's department of labor enforces state workplace safety laws. They also protect people who work in state and local governments. Contact your state's department of labor to report unsafe work practices.

Report retaliation

If your employer retaliates against you for reporting a safety hazard, report them to the Department of Labor.

LAST UPDATED: February 20, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.