Student Loans

Get answers to the most common questions about student loans.

Repaying a Student Loan

After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you have a period of time before you begin repayment of your student loans, known as a "grace period." You may find information on your loan's grace period in the terms and conditions portion of your signed promissory note.

The following resources are available regarding repaying student loans:

Contact the Department of Education's (ED) Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-319-337-5665 with questions.

Contact your Loan Originator

Contact the loan originator when you have questions about repayment information. If you don't know who your loan originator is:

Back to Top

Resolve Student Loan Disputes

If you and your loan servicer disagree about the balance or status of your loan, try to resolve your loan dispute on your own.

If you’ve completed the steps to resolve your loan dispute and you still are not satisfied, contact the Federal Student Aid (FSA) Ombudsman Group of the U.S. Department of Education (ED). The FSA Ombudsman works with student loan borrowers to informally resolve loan disputes and problems. You can request help online or call 1-877-557-2575.

Back to Top

Unable to Pay Student Loans

Finding Loan Information

If you are unsure which agency is servicing your defaulted student loan(s), call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 1-319-337-5665. TTY users should dial 1-800-730-8913. 

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) contains financial aid information collected from schools, agencies, and other educational institutions.

Resolving Defaulted Loans

The Default Resolution Group helps student loan borrowers in default arrange debt payments. Contact the Default Resolution Group at 1-800-621-3115.

Find more information on defaulted student loans:

Disputing a Loan

If you have been unable to resolve a dispute with your student loan lender, the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman may help you figure out how to resolve a student loan dispute.

Canceling/Discharging a Loan

Under certain circumstances, a school or financial institution will agree to cancel or discharge a loan. Continue making payments on your loan until you hear whether your discharge went through, or you qualify for forbearance, or a delay in payment, while your discharge processes. 

Back to Top

What you think matters!