Skip to main content

Get a passport for a minor under 18

Most children must appear in person at a passport acceptance facility to apply for a passport. The cost will vary depending on the child's age.


Processing times change throughout the year.


Be aware of passport expiration rules for your destination

Some countries and airlines will not allow a U.S. passport holder to enter if their passport expires in less than 6 months. 

Check your destination country's U.S. passport expiration rules on the Department of State's country information page.

  • On the left, search for the country name in the "learn about your destination" box.
  • On that country's page, look for "passport validity."

LAST UPDATED: December 18, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.