Renew an adult passport
Find out if you can renew your passport or have to get a new one. Learn how to renew your passport by mail or in person in an emergency.
Determine if you can renew your passport
If any of the following are true, you cannot renew your U.S. passport and must instead apply for a new passport in person using Form DS-11:
- Issued before your 16th birthday
- Issued more than 15 years ago
- Damaged, lost, or stolen. Learn how to report a lost or stolen passport.
- Issued in your previous name, and you do not have a legal document like a marriage license to prove your legal name change
If none of the above situations are true, you can renew your U.S. passport.
Be aware of passport expiration rules for your destination
Some countries and airlines will not allow a U.S. passport holder to enter if their passport expires in less than 6 months.
Check your destination country's U.S. passport expiration rules on the Department of State's country information page.
- On the left, search for the country name in the "learn about your destination" box.
- On that country's page, look for "passport validity."
LAST UPDATED: April 26, 2023
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.