Apply for a new adult passport
You need a passport to travel to most countries outside the U.S. Learn how to apply in person.
Eligibility to get a passport
If you are not able to renew your U.S. passport or if this is your first one, you will need to apply for a new passport. To be eligible, you must be either:
- A U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization or
- A qualifying U.S. non-citizen national
You must apply in person at a passport acceptance facility for a new passport. It cannot be done online or by mail.
Items you need to apply for a passport
- Application - You will need Form DS-11.
- You can Fill out Form DS-11 online and print it, or
- Download Form DS-11 and fill it out by hand, or
- Find your local passport acceptance facility or regional agency and pick up Form DS-11
- Do not sign Form DS-11 until you are at your appointment and the passport acceptance official tells you to do so.
- Personal documents including:
- Passport photo
- Passport fee
Apply in person. Find your local passport acceptance facility. This facility could be a library or post office. Some facilities require appointments or have limited hours.
LAST UPDATED: November 9, 2023