To have a U.S. passport, you must be a U.S. citizen.
Passport Book and Passport Card
Depending on where you are traveling outside of the U.S., you will need to determine if you need a passport book or a passport card.
- A passport book is required for all international travel by air.
- To enter the United States at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, you can use a passport book or a passport card.
- A passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book, but it cannot be used for international travel by air.
How to Apply
The application process is the same for either the passport book or card, even if you want both at the same time. You have to go in person to present your application.
From Within the United States
- If you need to get a passport in two weeks or less, you will need an expedited process. To find out where you need to go and what additional fees you’ll pay, follow the steps to get a passport quickly.
- If you will be traveling in three weeks or more, you can follow the regular application process and apply in person at a passport acceptance facility.
From Outside the United States
- Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate near you for information and forms to request a passport from outside the U.S.
Items You Need to Apply for a U.S. Passport
- Application Form - To complete the application for a passport book, card, or both together, first do one of the following:
- Fill out the application online. Use the Passport Application Wizard to step through the process of filling out the application. When you’ve completed the application, print it out to take to the passport acceptance facility. Passport applications cannot be submitted online.
- Fill out the application by hand. Download the passport application form (DS-11) and instructions and complete the application by hand, or go to a local passport acceptance facility to get a copy to fill out.
- Whether you fill it out online or by hand, it is important that you do not sign the form until you are instructed to do so in front of a passport designated official you will meet when applying in person.
- Personal documents - You’ll need to bring all of the following:
- An original proof of citizenship document
- An acceptable photo ID document
- A photocopy of the front and back of the photo ID document
- Passport photo - Follow the photo requirements.
- Payment - Calculate your passport fees.