Find resources to help you when you're moving.

Avoid Moving Fraud

While most moving companies are reputable businesses that do quality work, there are some that attempt to take advantage of clients through fraudulent practices. Follow these guidelines to protect yourself against moving fraud:

  • Get a written estimate from several movers. Some companies quote a low price to get a contract—and later ask for more money before they remove your belongings from their truck.
  • Make sure the mover has insurance and is licensed by the proper authority.
  • Check the mover's record. You can find out the mover's complaint history with local consumer advocacy organizations, such as the Better Business Bureau.

File a Complaint

  • If you have a dispute with a moving company, you should file a complaint with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Note: Moving company complaints handled by the FMCSA must cross state lines, but can be reported at any time.
  • If you have a complaint involving an intrastate move (a move within the boundaries of a state), contact your state or local regulatory authority.

Avoid Moving Scams

Back to Top

Change Your Address

Are you moving? Report your change of address to continue receiving mail and government benefits.

Change Your Address with the Postal Service

  • Go to to change your address online. This is the preferred method for speed and convenience, and you immediately get an email confirmation of the change.
  • Go to your local post office and request a Movers Guide.

You can also ask the USPS to temporarily change your address or hold your mail.

Change Your Address with Other Government Agencies

Other federal and state agencies to contact when changing your address include:

Back to Top

Utility Services

When moving into a house or an apartment, you may have to pay for utility services like gas, electricity or water. You can apply for these services on the phone, online, or in person. 

Starting Utility Services

Your city or county government may handle some utility services like water, sewage, and garbage collection. In many states, you can choose your telephone and energy service providers. Contact your state utility commission for a list of service providers and advice on making a choice.

  • Letter of guarantee: If you are a new utility customer or have a poor payment history, the utility company may require you to pay a deposit or get a letter from someone who agrees to pay your bill if you don’t. 

Switching Utility Providers

Your state's public utilities company may allow you to "unbundle" your electric (or gas) service, so you can purchase the utilities from one company and the delivery of them from another. For more information on switching utility providers, contact your state's public utilities commission.


Once you have established service, you should start receiving your bills at regular intervals, usually monthly or quarterly. Utility bills are based on the amount of energy or water you actually use. However, if you live in an apartment complex, the amount you pay for some utilities may be prorated or split. Contact the service provider if you see charges you do not understand or didn't authorize on your bill.

To Lower Your Utility Costs:

File a Complaint

File a complaint with the company If your utility company fails to meet its service requirements. Contact your state's utility commission If that does not work. 

Back to Top

Last Updated: August 01, 2017

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!