Skip to main content

How to file a complaint against a landlord

Learn about your rights as a tenant and how to get help if you cannot resolve a disagreement directly with your landlord or management company.

Get help for a dispute with a landlord

Before getting outside help, read your lease carefully to make sure you are following the rental rules you agreed to.

  • Find help from your state agency that addresses tenant rights.
    • Depending on your state, you may find links to your attorney general or housing agency, your state tenant rights handbook, and more.
  • If the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) insures or manages the property where you live, you can report the landlord’s negligence or fraud to HUD’s Multifamily Housing Complaint Line.

Find legal aid for a housing complaint

You may decide that you need help from a lawyer to settle the dispute with your landlord. Learn how to find affordable legal aid.

LAST UPDATED: December 15, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.