Health benefits include:
- Inpatient and outpatient care at VA medical facilities
- You can get help deciding which medical facility is best for you with the Access and Quality in VA Healthcare tool.
- Mental health care
- Women veterans health care
- Geriatrics and Extended Care
- Programs for dental care, long-term care, weight management, and more.
- The new Veterans Choice Program, which allows eligible veterans to see non-VA doctors closer to home.
If you served on active duty and your discharge was anything other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health benefits.
- Check this veterans health care eligibility list to see if you qualify.
- You may qualify based on income alone.
- You can also check your eligibility by answering up to 15 questions in the Health Benefits Explorer.
Download the Health Care Benefits Overview publication for additional information.
Affordable Care Act and VA Medical Benefits
If you are enrolled in the VA health care system, you meet the requirements of the Affordable Care Act health care law.
Apply for Medical Benefits
It's easier than ever to apply for VA medical benefits. Visit Vets.gov to apply online or by phone, mail, or in person.
Complaints about VA Health Care
If you have a complaint about any aspect of your care (healthcare provider, medical facility, etc.) you can:
- Discuss the problem with the provider or his or her supervisor.
- Contact the patient advocate. A patient advocate manages feedback from veterans, family members, and friends.
- Take additional steps.