Veterans death benefits
A veterans burial allowance helps pay for transportation, funeral, and burial costs for an eligible veteran. If you qualify, the VA will repay a fixed amount for these costs.
Eligibility for a veterans burial allowance
To receive these VA burial benefits, you and the veteran must meet all eligibility requirements.
The veteran must have:
- Not been dishonorably discharged
- Also met another condition including:
- Receiving care from a VA facility, or
- Receiving a VA pension, or
- Dying from a service-connected disability
You must have:
- Paid for the burial, transportation, or funeral costs
- Been a close relative to the veteran or managed their estate
How to apply for veteran death benefits
Follow the VA's process to apply online for a veteran burial allowance.
LAST UPDATED: April 6, 2023
Do you have a question?
Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.