Skip to main content

Get help with energy bills

The LIHEAP and WAP programs help pay for heating, cooling, and home weatherization. Learn if you are eligible and how to apply. And get help if your utilities were disconnected.

Find out if you are eligible for LIHEAP and apply

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help you pay your heating or cooling bills or get emergency services during an energy crisis.

You may be eligible for help with your energy bills based on your income. To see if you qualify and how to apply, contact your state's LIHEAP office.

Find your LIHEAP office

Find out if you are eligible for WAP and apply

For home improvements that save money on energy, you may qualify for help through the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP).

Your eligibility for weatherization assistance depends on your income. Or you may qualify if you already receive benefits through a federal assistance program such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI). To see if you are eligible and how to apply, contact your state's WAP office.

Find your WAP office

Find out who to contact if your utilities are disconnected

Each state has a different policy about when utility companies can and cannot disconnect your electricity or natural gas for non-payment. These policies may be based on:

  • The current weather in your area
  • Your age
  • If you have a disability
  • Which utility provider you have

Find out your state’s policy and who to contact if your power gets disconnected.

LAST UPDATED: December 8, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.