Skip to main content

International driver’s license for U.S. citizens

If you are a U.S. citizen planning to drive while traveling abroad, find out the driver’s license requirements for the country you are visiting.

You may be able to drive in another country with your state-issued U.S. driver’s license or with an International Driving Permit (IDP).

Check which license you need while driving outside the U.S.

When visiting another country as a U.S. citizen:

  • Your state driver's license is valid while driving in Canada and Mexico.
  • In other countries, you may need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) for foreign drivers.

Use the Department of State's website to search for the country you will be visiting. On that country’s page, see the "travel and transportation" section. It will explain your destination’s driver’s license rules for visitors.

How to get an International Driving Permit

If you have a U.S. driver's license, learn how you can get an IDP from the American Automobile Association (AAA).

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.