Skip to main content

Do you need a passport to travel to or from U.S. territories or Freely Associated States?

The travel documents you need as a U.S. citizen to travel to or from a U.S. territory or Freely Associated State depend on your destination.

U.S. citizens do not need a passport to travel between the U.S. and these territories:

  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Puerto Rico
  • U.S. Virgin Islands

U.S. citizens do need a passport to travel to these territories and Freely Associated States:

  • American Samoa
  • Guam (On a case-by-case basis, photo I.D. and proof of citizenship may be accepted instead.)
  • The Federated States of Micronesia
  • The Republic of the Marshall Islands
  • The Republic of Palau

LAST UPDATED: May 26, 2023


Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.