U.S. Passport Fees, Facilities or Problems

Find information about lost U.S. passports, denied applications, fees, facilities and how to get a passport quickly.

Find a Passport Facility or Location

Once you’ve completed the application, if you have to take your application to a passport facility in person:

Find out what forms of payment the facility accepts. Remember to bring the following:

If you are a U.S. citizen living abroad and need a passport, contact a U.S. Embassy or consulate for information on how to apply for your passport. Expedited processing is not available when applying from outside the U.S.

Back to Top

Passport Fees

Fees for renewing or getting a new passport depend on several factors such as if you are just getting a passport card or if you opt for expedited service. The passport application fee and the execution fee are non-refundable. They are collected and retained by law even if a passport is not issued. 

If you are outside the U.S. and are renewing or applying for a new passport, ask your nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate what forms of payment they are able to accept.

Back to Top

Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program

The U.S. Department of State's Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) notifies the parent or guardian of participating children whenever an application for a U.S. Passport is submitted in their name and verify whether the parent(s) approve this passport being issued.  You must be the legal parent or guardian of each child under the age of 18 to enroll in the program.

This program does not limit the issuance of a passport, nor does it track or restrict its use.

Contact the Department of State's Office of Children's Issues to get more information or review a list of  frequently asked questions about the program. 

Back to Top

Name Change or Correction for a Passport

If you have changed your name due to marriage, divorce, or some other legal reason, you will need to get a new passport to reflect the name change.

Documents to Support the Name Change

See Change or Correct a Passport for more information.

Passports Issued with an Error

If you live outside of the U.S., contact your nearest U.S. Embassy.

Back to Top

Denial of a U.S. Passport Application

There are a number of reasons why the U.S. Department of State can deny your U.S. Passport application or renewal, including:

  • Being subject to foreign extradition requests - handing over (a person accused or convicted of a crime) to the foreign state or country in which the crime was committed.
  • Certain court orders and declarations
  • If a previous passport was revoked 
  • Defaulted on an assistance loan from the Department of State. You must repay this loan first, or arrange to do so.
  • If you owe child support.
  • Minors involved in custody disputes.

If you are behind on your child support payments, you must reach agreements with the appropriate child support agency in each state where you owe more than $2,500 in child support. Your passport application or renewal will be processed once you pay the debt or make an arrangement to do so. Then the denial request is withdrawn by the state.

Note: This process takes approximately two to three weeks and the Department of State only holds denied applications for 90 days. After 90 days, a new passport application and fee payment will be required. Contact the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Child Support Enforcement if you have any questions.

Back to Top

Finding Lost or Stolen Foreign or U.S. Passport

If you find a U.S. Passport in the United States, mail the passport to:

U.S. Department of State
Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
44132 Mercure Circle
PO Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166-1227

If you find a U.S. passport while abroad, return the passport to the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate.

If you find a foreign passport in the U.S., return the passport to the issuing country's embassy or consulate.

Back to Top

Report and Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

You must report the loss or theft of an American passport immediately.

Note: Once you have reported your passport lost or stolen, it is invalidated by the State Department. It cannot be used if it is found.

If you are outside of the U.S., contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate to replace your lost or stolen passport.

Back to Top

Revoked U.S. Passport

The U.S. Department of State revokes passports that were:

  • Obtained illegally or through fraud.
  • Altered or misused.
  • Issued to people whose Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization was canceled.

You must surrender a revoked passport immediately.

Back to Top

Restrictions on a U.S. Passport

The U.S. Department of State cannot tell American citizens whether they may travel to certain countries, but can restrict the use of a U.S. Passport for travel there. In certain countries, you must get permission to enter or engage in certain activities. Contact the National Passport Information Center (or a U.S. Embassy or Consulate if abroad) to find out which agency grants this permission.

Traveling to Cuba

American citizens must get permission to visit Cuba, including if they travel through another country, from the Office of Foreign Assets Control in the Department of the Treasury. Contact by email at ofac_feedback@do.treas.gov, or call 1-800-540-6322 (1-202-622-2480 from abroad) for help and information. Also, check the U.S. Embassy in Cuba website

Share This Page: Facebook Twitter Email

Back to Top

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!

Last Updated: October 10, 2017